Dear Lionel,
Like many other football lovers worldwide, your footballing career has given me a lot of joy.
Millions of kids across the world - aged 5 yrs to 95 yrs - enjoy the magic you create on the football field.
And like all of them, I was disappointed when you announced your retirement from international football after the loss in the Copa America 2016 finals.
"For me, the national team is over," you said after the Copa America final. "I've done all I can. It hurts not to be a champion."
The entire footballing world felt the pain of your consecutive losses in the Finals - FIFA World Cup 2014 & the Copa Americas.
But I have a question.
Dear Lionel, What do we tell the kids?
The kids are asking:
"Why is he retiring?"
"He is playing so well. He has already won so many trophies!"
"Why can't he keep playing?"
And here's the most difficult one: "Then......why is he playing for Barcelona?"
As a kid, when you were playing in the streets of Rosario, did you ever play because you would win a trophy? Did you ever stop playing because you did not win?
In one of your interviews, when asked about why it didn't matter to you about going down in history as one of the greatest football players, you said:
"The only thing that matters is playing...I have enjoyed it since I was a little boy and I still try to do that every time I go on to a pitch"
"I do it because I love it and that's all I care about."
Kids need "your desire to always get better, to be your own best critic and accepting the good and the bad" (your words in the interview)
You have inspired many kids to play football - not just with the right skills but also the right spirit.
Now, that you are retiring after this loss, what do we tell the kids?
Very soon, Thiago will be kicking the football at least half as well as you do.
What will you tell Thiago?
"Stop playing if you don't win" ?
"Trophies matter. Not the joy of play" ?
Come back to International Football, Lionel.
There are many future Lionels who might not push through the tough times if they conclude that winning trophies is the reason to play. And not winning is the reason to stop.
Help kids discover the magic of play just as you discovered it.
Help kids know that you play because you love the play. Not the trophies.Help kids learn that victory & defeat are part of the game. Not the reason you play.
Help kids discover the joy of play. The joy that got you started on this wonderful journey. Not the trophies.
Help kids know that winning is not the reason you play. You play because you love to play.
"No te vayas Lio”: Lio, don’t go.

No comments:
Post a Comment